Santamakers
Reminder: You are viewing this forum as a Guest. You will not be able to post, access or view restricted areas of the Santamakers Forum until you login or register.

Visitors: You are permitted to view our Guild Membership group list, but for security reasons you must be registered & logged in to contact our Santamakers Guild members by email or PM. You may however click on Guild Member's websites (if one is provided) within the group list. You will find the link to our Guild Members on the santamakersguild.com website.

Welcome to the Santamakers Community Forum!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Santamakers
Reminder: You are viewing this forum as a Guest. You will not be able to post, access or view restricted areas of the Santamakers Forum until you login or register.

Visitors: You are permitted to view our Guild Membership group list, but for security reasons you must be registered & logged in to contact our Santamakers Guild members by email or PM. You may however click on Guild Member's websites (if one is provided) within the group list. You will find the link to our Guild Members on the santamakersguild.com website.

Welcome to the Santamakers Community Forum!
Santamakers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10" santa

+2
darel
LMPartdolls
6 posters

Go down

10" santa Empty 10" santa

Post  LMPartdolls 24/11/2009, 18:43

As if there were not enough things going on pulling me in all sorts of different directions, 10" santa 805951 wouldn't you know I have to toss one more thing into the pot of sloppy stew?!! hehe But you know me enough already to know I always have about 5 pokers burning away in the fire. LOL 10" santa 813750

So, this is no exception. This time around I have been commissioned to do a 10" santa claus. The person I am doing the doll for wanted it to be a "winking" santa, somewhat like the last one I did. But, let me tell you, I had no idea how hard it was going to be to recreate that winking santa face. LOL After about 100 faces, this is the one I ended up with. I'm not entirely happy with it, but 10" santa 481660 I can't keep messing with it forever. The family has 2 little kids and they are anxiously waiting for this charmer to hit their doorstep soon. So, I hope that they like it. Otherwise, if they don't, I'm gonna have to order some more eyes to fit that size head. I really hate to do that cause it took forever for me to get my last eyes. 10" santa 110414

So, tell me what ya think anyway.

Hugs,
Lori

10" santa Santa-head1
10" santa Santa-head2
10" santa Santa-head3

LMPartdolls
Guild Member

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2009-07-03

Back to top Go down

10" santa Empty Re: 10" santa

Post  darel 24/11/2009, 20:33

Lori,

I think he looks great. He has this serious look to him, but the wink let's you know it's all going to be ok. I love the beard. Can't wait to see the finished Santa.

Do you find it hard doing a 10" doll?

I love your work Lori, keep it up.

Darel

darel
Guild Member

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post  LMPartdolls 24/11/2009, 21:37

Thanks so much, Darel.

I will tell ya, I've been a little miffed over this Santa. As I said, the face has been giving all sorts of fits. But the client wanted a "winking" santa, much like the other one I made, except they wanted it to be 10". I'm still not exactly sure if I have the measurements right. I'm thinking since Santa is a mythical person, I could pull him in the direction of what might be like a Thomas Nast santa. A shorter and squat-like body, rounded belly. I think you know what I mean. 10" santa 805951 I think my problem with this santa is the fact he just seems too serious to me. I think you hit the hammer on the nail about that expression. Santa is supposed to be a jovial kind of guy, and mine looks like he is a Russian, take no crap off anybody santa. LOL

But, to answer your question, the size really isn't that much of a problem. The problem with this one in particular is the armature. I tried to order a 10" body armature from Jack Johnston. I got the armature, and it just doesn't seem to want to work for me. The brass tubing just seems to be too big at the neck area for a 10" doll size. Then, I ordered an accompanying body stocking for it. Well, they sent me a 14" body stocking. So, I wrote them and said...hey I have this problem. Well, Jack sends me out another body stocking no problems at all even telling me to keep the old one for my troubles. Well, I thought to myself, wow, what a nice guy. Then the 2nd one arrives. And, guess what! OMG it's the same size as the other one!!!!! 10" santa 36795 10" santa 225309 10" santa 86022 10" santa 632345 Yes, that is right, I was extremely frustrated. So, instead of calling him and saying....LOOK how about getting it right this time, I decided to cut my losses and just figure out how to make a new one at the correct size once I get there.

Well, as you can see, this has been a frustrating project from the getgo. It's no wonder I'm having all sorts of issues. Normally, I don't have these sort of issues. I make my own armatures for my dolls most of the time, with the exception of the 18" santas. But, for some reason, this one is just not happening according to the text book and I'm having to really earn my money on it. LOL

Anyway, I'll get him finished one way or another. It might be that the client doesn't like the face much and I'm back at the drawing board. I probably should order some more eyes tomorrow just in case. LOL

Thanks for the nice compliment. It was nice to get some feedback, as I was really needing it. 10" santa 174887 10" santa 139223

Thanks bunches!

Lori

LMPartdolls
Guild Member

Back to top Go down

Post  darel 25/11/2009, 07:47

Lori,

I didn't mean the serious face was bad. I like it.

You could get your husband to make the face you want, winking, similing, frowning....
and then take a picture of him in the profile, portrait, and a three quarter pose. If I don't have a reference and I'm not careful, I will make all of my faces look the almost the same. I don't think I could do a winking anything with out a reference.

That is just a thought.

I really like your work keep it up and have a great day.

Darel

darel
Guild Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LMPartdolls 25/11/2009, 12:45

Thanks, Darel. 10" santa 784863

I knew what you meant about the serious face. I guess for me, I really wanted a more jovial face...and it just was not gonna happen this time around. He did what he wanted to do. LOL 10" santa 515942 So, I had to go with it. I sent pics to the client, and she really likes the face and wants me to continue with it. So, I guess he took the form of what he was supposed to do. hehe 10" santa 122453 I think that was my biggest worry, that the customer would not be happy with the face. She is a doll artist too, and does beautiful work. (I'm still surprised that she wanted one of my Santas to tell you the truth because her work is just beautiful) So, I guess I was putting more stress on myself than what was needed. 10" santa 551263

Thanks for putting up with me. lol And, too, for the tips.

Hugs,
Lori

LMPartdolls
Guild Member

Back to top Go down

Post  psclaus 25/11/2009, 15:09

Lori just a suggestion, the face is perfect by the way, cock his head to the side of the wink when you mount the head on the shoulder. It will help perpetuate that all knowing sly look Santa has.
psclaus
psclaus
Admin

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2009-01-18

http://freewebs.com/psclaus

Back to top Go down

Post  LMPartdolls 25/11/2009, 15:50

Thanks, Paula! That is a good idea. 10" santa 87896 10" santa 808338 Great minds think a lot alike! 10" santa 199299 My hubby and I were talking earlier about the possiblities of cocking the head toward the wink. It seems like the most natural gesture. 10" santa 481660 Isn't it amazing how some of the most simple projects can turn out to be a bear in the long run? lol

Hugs,
Lori

LMPartdolls
Guild Member

Back to top Go down

Post  psclaus 25/11/2009, 18:23

yup, I couldn't agree more. But you know what? Less is always more. I just learned that! Had one of those blond hysterical moments when I had an undoing with a pumpkin pie. 10" santa 502713 I baked the metal lid from the pumpkin can in my pie. Pure genius. ha!

Last edited by psclaus on 25/11/2009, 18:27; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I'm a dummy)
psclaus
psclaus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  darel 25/11/2009, 18:43

Paula,

If it is a good pumpkin pie, as I am sure yours is, I would have no trouble eating around a metal lid.

Lori, it is very funny how, a lot of times actually, that the clay is going to do what it wants and we adapt.
Im not sure that's fair, but it does turn out that way.

Darel

darel
Guild Member

Back to top Go down

Post  psclaus 26/11/2009, 08:14

Yeah I guess we all need more steel in our diets. lol Happy Turkey Day peoples! 10" santa 115119
psclaus
psclaus
Admin

Back to top Go down

10" santa Empty This is very nice.

Post  trolineke 29/11/2009, 00:49

This is very nice.
10" santa 321201 The Wink. Splendid!!!!!!!!!!!
Greeting Ineke
trolineke
trolineke
Guild Member

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2009-09-28

http://www.trolineke.nl

Back to top Go down

Post  LMPartdolls 29/11/2009, 10:32

Thank you so very much, Ineke! 10" santa 313583 That means a lot to me! I was unsure of him at first, thinking I should have developed the winking eye a bit more with more of a raised cheek and a scrunched up wink. But, he is what he is. I've completed his hands, and am working on his boots.

Production has been a bit slow these past few days what with the Thanksgiving holiday and I've been trying to get our Christmas lights up on the outside of the house. We are near completion with that, and this upcoming week will be all about getting the boots done and his armature and body completed. I probably could have had him finished by now, but I have discovered I take about 2-3 weeks on the average for each doll because I goof about so much. LOL I need to make that my New Years Resolution and stop goofing so much while working on my dolls. LOL 10" santa 55295

Lots of love and hugs to you, Ineke!

Lori

LMPartdolls
Guild Member

Back to top Go down

Post  psclaus 2/12/2009, 18:01

I am getting clay burn out, my build a man is still sitting in the corner, lots of little projects yet to finish. On another note, got my house transfer paper work sent to Austin,(two weeks hopefully the title will be in my name) yeeeeee hawwwww, was driving around with expired registration on my car, 10" santa 949 tested my heating today, thank god it still work cause they are calling for snow tonight, my tree is up presents are wrapped and under the tree, still eating turkey (blegh) dog threw up in the kitchen not once but twice, 10" santa 68619 got my stove to working again (another Yeeeeeeee hawwww), and have been happily munching on shortbread cookies all day, (more love handles). Right now I sound like a blathering idiot. 10" santa 139223 lol my day has been good, how was yours? 10" santa 390812 10" santa 502713 10" santa 531751
psclaus
psclaus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  LMPartdolls 3/12/2009, 13:05

Paula,

You sound as if you have been extremely busy....and I can relate. We have finally finished putting up the decorations outside. We got out tree just yesterday, a fresh cut one. It is up in the stand, but not lights on it yet, and I still need to do my indoor decoration. I've been on a little side mission these past few days of clearing out my sunroom (roughly a 12 x 12 foot room) and I'm gonna turn this into a studio room to clear up my clutter. Unfortunately, I'll have to share it with a weight machine and 2 bikes. lol But, it's better than spreading the love of my dolls from one end of the downstairs to the other. So, since I have a mess piled up high, I need to get that cleared up so I can get to the tree and the decorations. AND...I need to get this santa finished too. So, between these and working too, I'm on burn out almost. I finally threw out the rest of the turkey yesterday...couldn't handle looking at or eating anymore of it. And, I havent' even started my christmas shopping yet. 10" santa 805951 10" santa 617210

Perhaps I'll catch up to myself this upcoming week and finally manage to get something finished. lol

Good to see you are busy like me.....sounds like you are a few steps ahead of me though. hehe

Lots of hugs,
Lori

LMPartdolls
Guild Member

Back to top Go down

Post  regiooaksartist 3/12/2009, 19:19

10" santa 813750 OK this has been such a good post for me to read tonight. It's ice to see that others are just as quirky as I am....LOL!!!! I LOVE this Santa and I think also that a small tilt of the head will do just the trick for you. Maybe Santa has just read the naughty list and found one child on there that might just make it over to the nice list...hence the "wink"!!!!! You do such wonderful work girl.

Hugs,
Regi

regiooaksartist
Guild Member

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2009-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post  LMPartdolls 3/12/2009, 22:26

Awe, Thanks a bunch, Regi. Nice of you to say such sweet things. I haven't had much time to work on him lately. But his hands have been sculpted and 1/2 his feet. Meaning...there are feet now...and no boots. lol And, I'm considering on redoing his armature. I'm not quite pleased with the first one. Hopefully, I can catch up with myself this weekend, and have the time to devote to this little fella again.

Good to see you popping around the board....and that your Thanksgiving was wonderful. Good luck with the the shop...it's sounds like a wonderful opportunity! Very, very happy for you, my friend!

Hugs,
Lori

LMPartdolls
Guild Member

Back to top Go down

Post  belinda 3/3/2010, 09:42

wow !! nice work !!!hugs Belinda

belinda

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post  LMPartdolls 3/3/2010, 12:10

Awe, thanks, Belinda. Very sweet of you.

You can see him here at this link all finished up!

https://santamakers.forummotion.com/show-tell-f24/commissioned-santa-t196.htm?sid=03a99c33a8325ca9533a63e8a5a67d81

Hugs back at ya,
Lori

LMPartdolls
Guild Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down