Santamakers
Reminder: You are viewing this forum as a Guest. You will not be able to post, access or view restricted areas of the Santamakers Forum until you login or register.

Visitors: You are permitted to view our Guild Membership group list, but for security reasons you must be registered & logged in to contact our Santamakers Guild members by email or PM. You may however click on Guild Member's websites (if one is provided) within the group list. You will find the link to our Guild Members on the santamakersguild.com website.

Welcome to the Santamakers Community Forum!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Santamakers
Reminder: You are viewing this forum as a Guest. You will not be able to post, access or view restricted areas of the Santamakers Forum until you login or register.

Visitors: You are permitted to view our Guild Membership group list, but for security reasons you must be registered & logged in to contact our Santamakers Guild members by email or PM. You may however click on Guild Member's websites (if one is provided) within the group list. You will find the link to our Guild Members on the santamakersguild.com website.

Welcome to the Santamakers Community Forum!
Santamakers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My current wip

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

My current wip - Page 2 Empty Re: My current wip

Post  psclaus 22/7/2009, 08:17

DianeExpress wrote:Paula!
You did a great job! I was wondering...how long have you been sewing? It's definitely not the easiest thing to make a pattern from scratch. thumbup We'll all be looking forward to seeing the rest of his outfit! Tally ho!!! Clapping
Hugs ...Diane

Oh gosh, loooong time Diane, My mom started teaching me when I was about 10, she had this really funky treadle machine. She made our clothes out of necessity. I guess its easy if you have one basic pattern that you can change and alter, plus have the basic knowledge of how the pattern works. This pattern didn't even look like the original any more, plus using 1 inch grid paper really helps. Doing your own patterns is a real challenge, plus I do the first finished piece out of muslin.
The shirt is almost finished. Got one more sleeve cuff and a hem then I can start cutting out the jacket. Thanks for bareing with me. huggs
psclaus
psclaus
Admin

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2009-01-18

http://freewebs.com/psclaus

Back to top Go down

Post  DianeExpress 22/7/2009, 11:21

Paula...
Starting on a treadle? Shocked This girl knows how to S..E..W..! What machine do you use now, dear heart? wub
Diane

DianeExpress
Guild Member

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  psclaus 22/7/2009, 13:06

Which one? hahahaha I have 9 machines. I am partial to an old cast iron Mongomery Wards machine that does only straight stitch. Lets see have 3 singers, 1 toyota serger, 3 whites (one of which is a treadle lol) and the beast (it doesn't have a name on it but its a quilting machine with its own platform). Then I have a few for parts that I don't count cause they are in pieces. They are all vintage. DH bought me a new white couple of years ago and I burned the motor up within 9 months. I don't buy new machines any more. The ones I have, have never failed me. Oh I forgot one its about the size of a singer feather weight and uses a bullet bobbin. I haven't figured out how to thread the bobbin yet. Circa 1930's. I guess that makes 10. lol
psclaus
psclaus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  psclaus 22/7/2009, 13:48

Here is the shirt, just need to get some buttons on the cuffs.

My current wip - Page 2 LSS%20shirt

Getting closer.
psclaus
psclaus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  LMPartdolls 22/7/2009, 15:18

OMG that is a lot of machines. All I have is the one, it's a kenmore 90001 or some crap like that. It does some emroidery stitches and supposedly I can use embroidery cards and hoops and such. I don't care much for embroiderd decal things...I just like the decorative stitches on occassion...and my straight stitch. Shrug It works alright until you bang it on the counter when you get extremely irritated and have fits of anger cause you dropped a screw inside the machine while trying to clean out the dust from around the bobbin area. rant wallbash Oh yes...I did that. It cost me dearly to have it fixed too....all because a screw fell into the machine and I couldn't shake it out. LOLOLOL I'll never do that again I tell ya. hmm I think I could have turned a sailor into the pope that day.

Any how, Paula, that shirt is marvelous! That is exactly the type of material I would have chosen as well. I love that material. It looks nice with the pants. Popcorn *waits patiently for the jacket* drool

LMPartdolls
Guild Member

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2009-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  darel 22/7/2009, 16:20

Paula,

Great shirt. I can't wait to see the finished Santa. It is going to be too cool.

Darel

darel
Guild Member

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post  psclaus 22/7/2009, 16:26

Thanks Darel, I'm having a blast with this.
psclaus
psclaus
Admin

Back to top Go down

My current wip - Page 2 Empty Jackets on hold

Post  psclaus 22/7/2009, 18:36

Well I put the jacket on hold, I thought of something I want to try. Idea I am going to quilt a vest for this guy, maybe stipple quilt. I will do it by machine (I am blind as a bat when it comes to hand quilting). Going to do a few test patterns first, so out comes the old faithful cast iron machine. Going to try this on tea dyed muslin. Time to go cut out a pattern. Paula
psclaus
psclaus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  LMPartdolls 22/7/2009, 19:06

Oh, my, a hand quilted coat on tea dyed muslim. This sounds like a masterpiece in the works. Clapping I have a feeling we are going to see a little crazy quilting at its best with lace and trims. Popcorn I'm soooo excited as your handy work is outstanding!

Have fun!
Hugs,
Lori

LMPartdolls
Guild Member

Back to top Go down

My current wip - Page 2 Empty Vest

Post  psclaus 27/7/2009, 20:51

Here are the two front sections of the vest. Lighting is not real good. The colars and flaps are the same color as the pants. The quilting is called machine stippling.
My current wip - Page 2 Vest%202
My current wip - Page 2 Vest%201
My current wip - Page 2 Vest%203
psclaus
psclaus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  LMPartdolls 27/7/2009, 21:04

Wow, Paula,

That is some beautiful handy work there! I love the vest so far. WOW. There are just no words. Nice touch too bring in the pants material to do the collar of the jacket and the pocket trim. Ties it together nicely. How are you going to do the back side of the vest? With a satin material? Or, are you going to keep it the same material ya think? Either way it will be nice. This is gonna be one heck of a santa! I have always admired those that take the time in costuming their dolls. I take my time working on the doll details, then I always get to the dolls costume and try to whip it together as quickly as possible. Funny, cause to me, I know that costuming can make or break the finished item. Shrug And, even still, each doll I do the same thing...rush through it. lol One of these days I'll learn and work at the costume details as hard as I do the body.

And, as an after thought, I could never figure out how to do machine stippling. I know you have to have a certain machine foot (or so I thought) but, I could never figure out what it was I was supposed to do. lol I love to quilt on occassion....but it's always an "in the ditch" method with occassional embroidery and some applique.

LMPartdolls
Guild Member

Back to top Go down

Post  psclaus 27/7/2009, 22:09

Stippling is one of the easiest things to do. You need a machine embroidery foot. You either drop the feed dogs or you cover them so they don't come in contact with the foot, sandwich two pieces of fabric with thin batting or fleece, put them under the foot, bring the bottom thread to the top, pounce the needle a few times and just start meandering all over the fabric. I put music on, it seems to help. You will figure out your own speed, I go pretty fast. Thats it. I think I'm going to leave the back muslin since you won't really see it. You can see what I mean by it being kinda plain looking.
psclaus
psclaus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  darel 28/7/2009, 06:40

Paula,

All I can say is the vest looks great. This is going to be one cool looking santa when you are through.

As for the sewing conversation I don't have a clue as to what you guys are talking about.

But, I love where your santa is going.

Darel

darel
Guild Member

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post  psclaus 28/7/2009, 09:42

Thats ok Darel, some times I don't understand sewing either. I start on something I think will work and it turns out looking like a pair of hammer pants. Thanks for the kuddos Huggs Paula
psclaus
psclaus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DianeExpress 28/7/2009, 11:16

Paula,
Darel's right... the vest is going to be super. I know what stippling is but have never tried it. You've put the technique to good use! Clapping So looking forward to the finished outfit! (Have you figured out what kind of hat, or am I jumping the gun here? Shrug )
Santa hugs...Diane

DianeExpress
Guild Member

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  LMPartdolls 28/7/2009, 12:12

walkingcane <---- Think of that as a blind person....and you will have me when it comes to sewing! Don't feel bad, Darel. I know just enough to make it dangerous...hence, the needle through the thumb story from earlier. myaha

LMPartdolls
Guild Member

Back to top Go down

Post  psclaus 28/7/2009, 12:35

DianeExpress wrote:Paula,
Darel's right... the vest is going to be super. I know what stippling is but have never tried it. You've put the technique to good use! Clapping So looking forward to the finished outfit! (Have you figured out what kind of hat, or am I jumping the gun here? Shrug )
Santa hugs...Diane

Not yet Diane, I may just sew some pieces together and hope it looks like a hat lol. Wonder if a paper bag would work if I rolled it hahahaha.
I think I need to give some sewing lessons in here!
psclaus
psclaus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  LMPartdolls 28/7/2009, 20:17

*pulls up sewing machine and sits very attentively awaiting for further instructions* Hyper lol A paper pirates hat painted red comes to mind! Very Happy

LMPartdolls
Guild Member

Back to top Go down

Post  psclaus 1/8/2009, 19:35

I missed this post, sorry guys. I was up a 4am this morning working on his jacket. It was nice and cool in my work room so I decided to take advantage of it. By 2pm this afternoon I was dragging, Still have the sleeves to go but by golly, its turning out rather nice. I popped the head on and it needs some work so I think I'm gonna remove his eyes and reset with a new pair. His shoulder plate needs to be built up a bit too, there's no neck to speak of. I don't like the boots either so I will be on another quest for different shoes.
Ahhhh a woman's prerogative to change her mind. I will post some pics soon. Soon as I get this dude back on course I will do some sewing instructions if any one is interested Paula
psclaus
psclaus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  LMPartdolls 1/8/2009, 21:36

I was wondering if you were going to keep those ole army boots on him. Very Happy

LMPartdolls
Guild Member

Back to top Go down

Post  psclaus 2/8/2009, 13:37

Went looking at the flea market this morning for a different pair of shoes, no luck. So I am taking a break from him for a few days. When I went to Fredericksburg last week I bought a 1/4 bushel of peaches with the intent of eating them all. Wrong. DH brought in two cases of canning jars last night and demanded Peach Butter, so I am canning today, (in the crock pot, lazy way out). I may just drag out some old clay and play squishy this afternoon or get out my carving knife and try my hand at whittling something. Knowing me I'll whack off my finger. thumbup
psclaus
psclaus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  LMPartdolls 2/8/2009, 14:31

hmmmmmmm, peach butter sounds soooo wonderful. I have never tried it but I would bet it is TASTY! drool

Sorry that you didn't find any boots. hmm I've been sweating over santa ornaments since yesterday. I have them all painted, and now I'm working on the bearding. whew I think I'm seeing double now. 52 ornaments is a lot of work. Perhaps the next batch I'll work smaller. I'll feel more productive that way. this sucks I often wonder what goes through my head when I get this BIG ideas. wtf

Taking a break sounds like a good idea. myaha

LMPartdolls
Guild Member

Back to top Go down

Post  psclaus 2/8/2009, 14:36

ha ha big Ideas? It's called freedom to be me!
psclaus
psclaus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  LMPartdolls 2/8/2009, 16:07

Shocked If this is freedom...I need to hide in the closet from my head! bag What was I thinking to make 52 ornaments at once! LOL wallbash

LMPartdolls
Guild Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2