Santamakers
Reminder: You are viewing this forum as a Guest. You will not be able to post, access or view restricted areas of the Santamakers Forum until you login or register.

Visitors: You are permitted to view our Guild Membership group list, but for security reasons you must be registered & logged in to contact our Santamakers Guild members by email or PM. You may however click on Guild Member's websites (if one is provided) within the group list. You will find the link to our Guild Members on the santamakersguild.com website.

Welcome to the Santamakers Community Forum!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Santamakers
Reminder: You are viewing this forum as a Guest. You will not be able to post, access or view restricted areas of the Santamakers Forum until you login or register.

Visitors: You are permitted to view our Guild Membership group list, but for security reasons you must be registered & logged in to contact our Santamakers Guild members by email or PM. You may however click on Guild Member's websites (if one is provided) within the group list. You will find the link to our Guild Members on the santamakersguild.com website.

Welcome to the Santamakers Community Forum!
Santamakers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GLUE question

5 posters

Go down

GLUE question Empty GLUE question

Post  mrsclaus 21/1/2010, 12:32

I was just wondering what everyone's favorite kind of glue is? Kathy

mrsclaus

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-04-19

Back to top Go down

GLUE question Empty Re: GLUE question

Post  MagicElf 22/1/2010, 08:00

Well, I like all kinds of glue., but E6000 is what I use to bond body parts together. GLUE question 313583 WeldBond also works well for glass, wood. Good old Aleene's Tacky Glue and FabriTac for more delicate things. And let's not forget the ever present and wonderful hot glue. Whoever invented the hot glue system is a genius. GLUE question 199299 That's all my picks for gluing. I hope I helped.
God Bless,
Kathy

MagicElf
Guild Member

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post  LMPartdolls 22/1/2010, 09:24

All those are pretty much what I use as well. Though, I have never tried the E6000 one. I've been searching for a glue that will glue metal to metal. GLUE question 805951 I like to sculpt my lower arms and lower legs separate with a brass tubing inside of them. Then, I take the brass tubing and insert it onto my wire armature. I have been using the hot glue method for this in the past, but recently discovered that some of my arms and legs would end up "twisting" around on the armature and even sometimes coming lose later. This is after using a butt-load of the hot glue. Talking about being irritated about it too. GLUE question 579648 Nothing worse than trying to hurry and set your table up for a show to discover your Santa's leg wants to go dancing on it's own accord without it's body. Or, the fairy arm things it has an agenda of it's own and goes crawling off to do it's own thing.

As a result, I tried to use MagicSculpt. It is a 2 part compound that once mixed together is supposed to dry rock hard. Well, I have only had maybe 2 attempts with this product and I can tell you, I'm not completely satisfied. I have found that the same thing happened again and one of my recent Santas leg's come lose and I had to redo it. GLUE question 531751

So, I have began working on a small fairy, and again, I aim to try another product to see how it will go. This time the glue comes from the auto store and is called JB Weld. It is also a 2 part process, and once you mix it, it is supposed to hold like concrete. This particular product says it will hold metal to metal. So, I will have to let you all know if it works for me in case you ever want to try it. I would be ecstatic if it did work because this stuff was pretty cheap AND I don't have to pay for shipping! I can actually ride my bike or take a nice walk to the store to get it. LOL GLUE question 321201 Now that I'm thinking about it. I probably should do a test piece to see if it will work. I have had this stuff sitting here for a month and have not tried it out yet. GLUE question 551263 Thanks for the reminder! hehe

Oh, BTW, just want to say, this is gonna get confusing with the 2 Kathy's. hahaha GLUE question 805951 (of course, I'm just teasing the 2 of you)

Hugs,
Lori

LMPartdolls
Guild Member

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2009-07-03

Back to top Go down

GLUE question Empty Glue

Post  MagicElf 23/1/2010, 10:44

Just as a postscript.....I have a product that I have bought that I need to try too. It is called Mighty Putty and it is supposed to bond almost any surface. It is a epoxy resin that is in a green putty form that turns a gray color when kneaded, then turns a white color when dry(air). After kneading the putty, you bond whatever yu have and let it air dry. I am going to test out this product and I will let yu all know how it does. Have a good weekend.
God Bless,
Kathy (MagicElf) (How's that, Lori?)

MagicElf
Guild Member

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post  LMPartdolls 23/1/2010, 15:05

GLUE question 805951 Too funny, Kathy! Maybe we can call you Kathyelf! LOL Of course, I'm teasing. GLUE question 55295 Really, don't go through all that trouble unless you want to. I will know who you are without any problems at all. GLUE question 225309

Let us know how the mighty putty works out for you. I have seen it advertised, but never thought of using it for this purpose. It does indeed say it will hold to anything. I'm curious to know how well it will work.

LMPartdolls
Guild Member

Back to top Go down

Post  darel 23/1/2010, 16:46

I have used Mighty Putty and JB Weld. They work just about the same, but I found that JB Weld has a very stronge smell to it.

I have used both as an armature, or to build up area's so I don't have to use so much ProSculpt. Which makes a very strong armature. If you coat the armature with a vinyl glue and let it dry the clay will stick to the armature very well. If you don't coat it, the clay can create air pockets which will eventually carck.

If using it to put feet and hands on you might try bending the wire so it makes kind of a "W" shape on the end so when you push it into the brass tube with the apoxie putty in it will grip better and be trapped in the putty. It will make the bonding alot stronger.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Darel

darel
Guild Member

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post  LMPartdolls 24/1/2010, 09:08

Thanks for those suggestions, Darel. Will definately consider them when I get ready to tackle this "issue". GLUE question 784863

LMPartdolls
Guild Member

Back to top Go down

Post  psclaus 24/1/2010, 10:37

I use lots of glues. I think my favorite is Gorilla and gorilla super glue. And then I use Barge, it glues every thing and can be used like a contact cement. There was some stuff that I used to buy that acts like JB weld but it dries more like super hard concrete, you just add water. Can't remember the name but I got it at Lowes and I need to get some more. Any two part epoxie works really well for for jointed areas. For doing my beards I use either Grandma Stovals or Yes glue. The Yes I get at Micheals. The other you can order on line. The Gorilla Glue dries like closed cell foam and a little goes a long way. It's good stuff. JB weld is good in a pinch but it does stink, unless you like getting high lol.
psclaus
psclaus
Admin

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2009-01-18

http://freewebs.com/psclaus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down